Monday, March 16, 2009

Let the Children Plant!

Man, do we have big plans for our garden. I’ve already mapped out the new vegetables I’m going to plant, problem is, short of selecting all the things I want to plant, I haven’t done one thing to prepare. Yep. You heard me. The chinobillies had quite a bit going on lately, with more expected over the next month or so, and then there’s the matter of where the money is going to come from, too bad money trees don’t grow in our climate zone, and oh, I guess my two children, husband, and laundry might have something to do with life being a little on the busy side.

But that’s it—no more waiting. If I have to trudge outside in my galoshes and till my soil in a raging thunderstorm, I don’t care; I’m starting on my garden. Wait. I don’t have galoshes. The weatherman is predicting temperatures to be in the upper 60’s with no chance of rain. And I won’t run a tiller unless my life depended on it so never mind.

We’ll just stick to this method for now.

Let the children pick out seeds.
But I don't like tomatoes...said in a very whiney voice


Seeds? What are seeds? Why are we planting them? Why do they need to grow? Why are we going to eat them? Why~ Why~ WHY?
Let the children prepare the soil.

Let the children poke holes in the dirt.


Let the children plant the seeds.


Let the children water.

Let the children rejoice.
Before too long this garden I’ve been dreaming about (losing sleep over) will be a disorganized mess of tomato plants and peas and jalapenos, and I’m okay with that. Because it gives the kids a reason to handle the soil, to dig, to water, to fertilize…to watch and wait as the plants grow larger…and, eventually, prayerfully, to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh those are such great pictures! Have you fully transferred to digital scrapping or do you still do the classic way with...shall I say it...real paper?! Anyways, that is so much fun to play in the dirt! And watering anything is Grace's favorite part.

debby94 said...

How great! I bet the girls has a lot of fun planting!