Saturday, July 26, 2008

I love my magic bullet!

This morning I had a real eye opener (ha! pardon the pun) as I was reading an article in the August issue of Parents Magazine called “How Well Do Your Kids Really Eat?” where a very brave mother of 3 let a registered dietician observe her family for a day.
The title of the article caught my eye because my kids have entered the "I don't like anything but cake" phase of their life. “Lord please let this phase pass quickly, I like pie much better”. *ha! I immediately related to the first line. "Getting kids to eat healthy foods every day can be a challenge worthy of its own reality show." Amen sister! You all know how much I love reality shows. Anyway, I digress. Did you know that every four grams of sugar equals one teaspoon? Holy teaspoons Batman! I guess it’s time to start reading nutrition labels more often. Now this chinobilly mom doesn’t let her kids get hopped up on Kool-Aid all day long but I know there is a lot of room for improvement especially when it comes to snacks.
So I decided to set a good example for my little ones and off I marched to the kitchen to make Blueberry Yogurt Smoothies. I pull out my big blender that basically collects dust 364 days out of the year. I load all the ingredients into the blender and let Bree press the button. The dang thing barely blended the ingredients before I got impatient. “Man this is wimpy”, I grumble to my little helper. Now I’m just mad because I’ll have to do double the dishes. I knew I should have just started with the Magic Bullet from the get go. I pull out my handy dandy Magic Bullet and transfer the ingredients. Yep, that little silver bullet got the job done in about 15 seconds.
We were sipping Blueberry Yogurt Smoothies in no time. So in case you’ve been holding off on buying one of these beauties let this be a lesson. Go ahead buy one you won’t regret it!
I'm off to pull out all of my smoothies recipes again. Sure wish we had a Zuka Juice in our back yard!

No comments: