Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A visit to Walgreens yesterday

It is August right? I didn't slip into a black hole somewhere and get stuck in August, 2008 did I? Why am I already seeing things of this horrible holiday called Halloween that generally glorifies the dark things of this world, rather than the light of Jesus Christ, The Truth? Have you noticed how Halloween costumes and masks are getting generally bloodier, gorier, and more depraved each year? Well my two-year-olds certainly have when we were at Walgreen’s yesterday. All I wanted to do was drop off some film and buy some hair detangler for Abby. The poor girls were very frightened of all the “monsters” hanging from the ceiling and propped up on displays. Both girls kept saying “monsters coming…mamma go home” which we did rather quickly. I knew there was a teachable moment in this but I honestly wasn’t prepared to teach my two-year-olds the principalities of good and evil in Walgreen’s of all places! I was in a state of shock myself!

Now, I know that I can’t just lock ourselves up for the next two and a half dadgum months and I also know that I must teach the girls that the fight isn't against occultists, non-Christians, Christians who feel differently than we about Halloween, or institutions that promote Halloween, but "against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12 NKJV).

If you are a Christian parent, God has given you a precious responsibility in your children. Remember, their ability to resist spiritual wickedness is much less than yours. Don’t allow them to play on "the devil’s turf," Satan will definitely press his home court advantage. It is hard enough to raise children these days in a Godly way without exposing them to Satan's realm. We are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness.

No comments: